To eternity and beyond



"Dance with me and pretend the world doesn't exist," he pleaded.


And after that, there was no going back. We swayed to the rhythm of the bullets that were shot around us. We were waltzing to a song only us could hear, finding magic in the chaos surrounding ourselves. I looked in his eyes and I found the serenity I so much needed in that moment. We both knew how it was going to end. It was too late to save anything anymore.

I fell in love with those grey eyes not a long time ago. That love almost instantly became an unbreakable bond. We promised each other eternity, but we never - not even for a second - dared to think that our 'forever' could last this little.

I was smiling, even though there was nothing to be happy about. He was my everything and in his arms I couldn't feel anyhow but safe. I heard screaming around us. Those yells of suffering were encircling us, the screams of our friends, of our loved ones. We could not save them, not anymore. I should have closed my eyes, but I refused to. I wanted him to be my last view, with his dark copper hair and those electric eyes.

A tear streamed down my face as I finally realized it was over. Pain stung my left foot, but my body did betray me. I didn't want him to know I was suffering as I was sure he had been doing just the same. He looked at me with the exact same figure he had on his face when he told me he loved me for the first time.

We refused to fight anymore. It was nonetheless pointless. And so, we decided to spend our last moments in peace. Or as much peace as we could get in the middle of a war.

"One last time, my love," he whispered, his eyes filled with tears.

"Promise me we will find each other again," I cried, not wanting to accept the cruel reality.

"I can only promise I will never stop looking for you," he responded, his lips and voice trembling with the fear of unavoidable death.

I crushed my lips over his in the second I felt the life being drained from my body. Those were our last seconds. The world may have lost a war, but we finally gained eternity.

Comments